Sunday, April 14, 2013

Wild Card: DP/Editor

For this project I am the DP/Editor. Let me start out by saying that I am not a DP. I perform that role only as a necessity, and have never given it any more thought than that. It isn't that I've had an aversion to it.. certainly the camera is interesting to me (or else I'm in the completely wrong field) but what has always interested me more are the other aspects of filmmaking.
Editing and DPing go hand in hand. I found when I created the shot list that I was making it from the perspective of the editor. So I had to go back and reorder it for efficiency. In order to do either job you have to be able to visualize the other. It's been a lot of fun putting the two together. I brought the script with me to the gym so I could add notes about what types of shots go where. I had planned to stay for 45 minutes but when I finally looked down I had been there for and hour and a half and didn't even notice. I just got lost in the script and all the different possibilities for shooting. It was a very exciting feeling, and a revelation that I should always bring a script to the gym if I want an awesome workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment