Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Let There Be Light

     I watch the sunset from my back porch. By now everyone has retreated indoors for the evening and I am left alone to watch the sky. As the day comes to an end the sun thrusts out its rays, clinging desperately to the western horizon. The light touches only the surface of the earth as the midnight sky reaches down to touch the remaining sunset. I can now face the sunken sun head-on, and we look at each other face to face. It's light falls softly on my face as the sky turns pink and orange and gold. Slowly, it slips from the earth, retreating from the looming darkness as it says goodnight. 

Now that it is dark I go back up to my room and lay on the floor with a book. I flick on the lamp and watch as light explodes from the tungsten-colored bulb. The light is incased in a small old bird cage, but escapes from behind the bars casting sunburst shadows on the ceiling and walls. I lay underneath the lamp, it's light reflecting off the satiny-white pages of my textbook. My dog wanders over and sniffs my face before plopping down on the section of the page I was trying to read. Her black eyes shine up at me in innocence, highlighted by the soft light. I ruffle her hair and roll her over on her back, rubbing her tummy as I continue reading.

This is Izzy. I never miss a chance to show her off. 



1 comment: